March 22, 2022 2 min read

Your pet ate something they should not have, or they got something on their skin that’s now irritating it. Your first instinct might be to spring into action and do everything you can for your pet immediately at home, however you may end up doing more harm than good.

While there are many common first aid practices humans can use on one another, they are not always the same ones you should administer to a poisoned pet. In fact, the best thing you can do for your pet is to contact your vet as they will be the ones who can best determine the type of treatment for the type of poisoning.

If your pet is experiencing symptoms of being poisoned or you suspect your pet is poisoned, we are sharing 3 treatment methods you should notattempt without consulting a vet.

3 Pet Poison Treatment Myths

Myth 1 - Induce vomiting

You should never induce vomiting for your pet on your own without consulting your veterinarian. Some poisons can harm your pet more if it is forced back up through their esophagus. Unless instructed by your vet, you should not induce vomiting on a poisoned pet.

Myth 2 - Give them pain killers like Ibuprofen and Acetaminophen

You may see your pet in pain and want to help them, but pain killers meant to make humans feel better should not be given to your pet. Tylenolcan be especially dangerous to give to cats. Always wait for your vet’s instructions on what types of medication to give your pet.

Myth 3 - Home remedies

Things such as vegetable oil, salt, or peanut butter should not be given to a pet that’s ingested something poisonous. While these things might seem like harmless, natural solutions, they can potentially lead to worse side effects than before. Contact your vet before attempting to give them anything else.

The best thing you can do for your pet is prevent it from being poisoned altogether by securing poisonous or toxic materials away safely.

If your pet has encountered or ingested something harmful, remain calm. Identify what the poison was and how much of it was consumed, then contact your vet or the 24/7 Pet Poison Helpline (855) 764-7661 or Animal Poison Control(888) 426-4435.

Want more? Clickhere for more fun and helpful kitty content!