National Dog Day serves to help stimulate the public to recognize the number of dogs that need to be rescued each year. It also acknowledges family dogs and dogs that work selflessly each day to save lives, keep us safe, and bring comfort. Dogs put their lives on the line every day - for their law enforcement partner, for their blind companion, for a child who is disabled, for our freedom and safety by detecting bombs and drugs, and by pulling victims of tragedy from wreckage. Here are a few ways that you can "Celebrate the Dog":
1. Adopt a dog from your local shelter or rescue organization.
2. Volunteer at your local shelter by offering to walk a dog, play with a dog, clean cages, or anything else they need help with.
3. Donate food, blankets, and toys to animal welfare organizations.
4. Have a portrait painted of your dog to suspend the fleeting magic of dogdom.
5. Have a National Dog Day party and invite all of your friends and their dogs!
6. Buy your dog a fun new dog toy...or two...or five.
7. Give your dog some fun exercise by taking them to a doggy play resort.
8. Give your dog a massage.
9. Hire a professional pet photographer for a fun photoshoot.
10. Take your dog to the beach.